Now I know a lot of trout fishermen treat their reels as just somewhere to store the fly line, which in most cases is fine, but it’s the exception to the rule that makes investing in the best reel possible a wise decision. When playing a big fish, be it a salmon, seatrout or a large brown, on a small river, and due to the rain this year the fish are already well upstream, you need a reel that will stop them in their tracks with out breaking off, a reel that will pick up line quickly if they run towards you and reel that is light for its size, which is why I invested in a OPTi reel.
This is the one I chose although OPTi reels come in sizes from Creek to Big. Each model is optimized for specific fishing applications. Creek and DryFly, with a silky-smooth drag that handles the thinnest leader. The Runner, which is built on the same principles as its big brother Speedrunner, is the obvious choice for light double-hand rods or slightly heavier single-hand rods. Speedrunner features an inset handle andextra diameter for speedsters. Megaloop comes with dual braking plates anda super sturdy construction for tackling really big fish. The king of the hill is the OPTi Big. With an absolutely huge drag system it is designed to stop anything.
The OPTi reel will be your best and most beautiful friend for life!
• Designed in Sweden and built with specifically designed components crafted in Sweden.
• Housing and spool machined from one piece aircraft aluminium.
• Waterproof and salt tolerant.
• Components in stainless steel and anodised aluminium.
• Power Matrix Drag System. Axial function employing dual plates. New, unique braking material from Carbon Matrix precision machined to a tolerance of ± 0,02 mm. Extreme temperature and pressure tolerant.
• Simple, quick spool-change.
• Easy-grip progressive brake knob.
• V-shaped spool.